Search "Sundays in Spain"

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Smoke-free bars in Spain?

This Sunday morning, I am not in Spain, and therefore I cannot see whether the new law banning smoking in all enclosed public places--including bars, cafes, and restaurants--is having the sudden transformational effect that has been hoped for by some and lamented by others.

A 2006 law regulating smoking in public spaces was disappointingly ineffective in regards to cafeterias, bars, and restaurants. Larger establishments were permitted to create smoking areas within the otherwise smoke-free premises. Though they were supposed to have separate ventilation systems and be positioned so as not to require patrons to pass through the smoky area when entering and leaving, I have seen some clumsily constructed structures that failed miserably in containing the abundant smoke generated by the faithful. Worse, establishments of less than 100  square meters of public space were permitted to exempt themselves from the no-smoking policy, as long as the management posted a sign at the entrance saying that smoking was permitted. For five years now, almost every little bar that I have entered has posted a "Se permite fumar" sign on the front door.

The new law took effect on Sunday, January 2 so as not to suddenly interrupt anyone's Nochevieja revelries as they celebrated the new year and downed their good-luck grapes. My own New Year's Eve day was spent in already smoke-free airports and planes, but I got the first inclination of a change when I checked in to a hotel next to the airport the night before my early-morning flight. For the first time in Spain I was asked voluntarily by the desk attendant if I wanted a smokeless room (thirty percent of hotel rooms may be reserved for smokers).

Toward the end of 2010 I read in the newspaper that bars and restaurants were investing in outdoor heating devices to enable the use of terrace and sidewalk sitting in even the colder months of the year. I remember now my surprise that the back terrace area of Bistro Alex, the restaurant within walking distance of my house, had been transformed into a pleasantly warm dining area with awnings and multiple heaters when I was there a couple weeks ago. I wonder if movable awnings--whether down or up--mean that an area is not "enclosed" and therefore may be exempt from the smoking ban. Most of all, I look forward to returning to the always-crowded  Carrefour cafeteria where we frequently enjoy a cup of coffee after making our purchases, but usually have trouble finding a clear table. I had noticed not too long ago that there was double the amount of seating space, with better views, farther beyond where we usually sit. It was, however, a glassed-in area for smoking. By the time I get back to Spain, that room should be cleaned and opened and a more pleasant space to recuperate from shopping.

The unusual thing I have noticed in all my reading about the tough new anti-smoking law in Spain  is that no one is attacking people who smoke, or denying their right to do so. The focus is on making more pleasant and healthy areas for everyone when they are eating and drinking, two activities that are major social occasions in Spain. Smoking is still permitted on the streets, in open air (except around playgrounds, schools, and hospitals), and in private areas in Spain. And I expect to see even more sidewalk restaurants and bars than there already are.

2 comments:

MadDog said...

So it would seem that in Spain, as well as in los Estados Unidos, that the government is extremely hesitant to attack the income stream generated by the tax on cigarettes / smoking products.

Private clubs, at least in the state of Ohio, are the last refuge for smokers. A local veterans club, with a somewhat protected (outside) corner, started with a patio in the summer a few years back when the No Smoking signs went up. No bar. Then came all weather furniture. Next were high output overhead heaters. With onset of late fall came legal reviews of just what constituted outside (versus an attached room?). Two walls were erected with separated but overlapping boards (similar to a fence); the walls are around 8 feet tall. The gap between the walls and roof became an area of contension as winter approached. Other legal reviews resolved the issue with the installation of wide, overlapping plastic flaps (similar to those on a shipping dock where the overhead doors are generally open. In the ensuing spring, air conditioning was added to the now highly controllable environment.
The net result is a comfortable lounge where smokers can (still) drink and smoke. This club, being one of the few that has a virtually year-round, all weather facility for smokers, enjoys a brisk and continually growing business – "outside".
Personally, I stopped smoking on flights long before I stopped smoking, largely because I could sit up front and get off the plane more quickly after landing.
As prior smoker, I am somewhat offended by the whole thing . . . the government subsidizes the tobacco farmers while controlling (limiting) the tobacco industry and its access to childen; adults continue to purchase / use tobacco products that are clearly at the root of a broad scope of health problems; and the rest of us just nod our heads and be thankful that we will most likely not die from secondary smoke.
It is nice to attend meetings these days without a pervading pall of smoke in the air, but I think that we are physically and idealistically a long way from being a smokeless society.
Regards,
MadDog

Anonymous said...

Hola chica!
It was lovely reading your article about the Zoco Market and your trips to the optician etc., all the areas that are so familiar to me. Hubby and I were at the Zoco Market this morning, what a wonderfully sunny morning and everyone was so happy there. The sun had finally returned.

We are so enjoying the smoking ban in restaurants. We have nothing against smokers at all, I used to be one, we just don't think smoke and food go together.

Keep up the good work with the blog which I very much enjoyed reading.

You must give me your short cut to Ikea, we live in San Luis in the outskirts of Torrevieja. You obviously pass us on your way to Torry.
Regards
Ermita