Search "Sundays in Spain"

Sunday, May 3, 2009

All Boxed In

I'm up to my shoulders--well, perhaps above them--in boxes. That's because we're packing up to relocate to the Alicante area of Spain, back where this blog began some six months ago.

I'm a frequent mover, though most of my moves have been between houses in the United States. We are also mostly do-it-yourself movers, or at least do-it-yourself packers, because although I keep sorting and disposing of books, papers, clothing, kitchen utensils, household decorations and whatever else it is that brings comfort and clutter to my homes, there is always too much to invite someone in to relieve me of this personal task. I don't think it's true, but maybe I'm fooling myself and the only time I really do sort and clean out is when I move house.

Considering the fact that everything in this house was either acquired on this side of the Atlantic within the past five years, or carefully brought over in my two-suitcase allotment on biennial trips to the U.S., I've got a lot of stuff. But there's not too much time to sort through this time--we were told on Thursday afternoon that our buyers wanted to take possession of the apartment the following Thursday. That would be this coming Thursday. Given the economy and the turgid real estate market, what the buyer says, goes. So we were boxed in to an earlier-than-expected moving date.

In most previous moves, the main type of moving crate has been the time-honored liquor carton. When we moved from the White Mountains of New Hampshire to the Midwest six years ago, we started to drive to different state liquor stores to pick up boxes, not because I was worried that my soon-to-be former neighbors might think I drank too much, but because I was worried that the state store clerks would think we had too much stuff.

They do not have state liquor stores in Spain, but we have been living on the main street of town, within a ten-minute walk of three grocery stores, a stationery shop, and numerous bars and restaurants. (Lots of banks, too, but they aren't receiving any deposits in crates these days). We are also within reach of several trash/recycling centers, so we've started timing our daily walks to throw-out time. People are not supposed to leave cardboard boxes on the ground outside the dumpster, but thank heavens they do. Here, in contrast to most places I've lived before, the sanitation workers actually pick those up and dispose of them properly instead of letting them sit until the next day or the next wind and rain.

We have a very different supply of cardboard moving cartons in this commercial environment. I've explored my piles to see what markings on the boxes reveal about their former contents and discovered how little I know about the many consumer products of Spain. Here's what I can see:
  • Coviran Papel Aliminio - aluminum foil for the small grocery store next door
  • Hidalgo Pan Precocido - Prebaked bread, lots and lots of boxes from the supermarket down the street. So that's why they always had fresh bread coming out of their ovens!
  • Mercadona Barra Bolo - more bread variations from the supermarket
  • TempleOliva: 8X2L of olive oil
  • Vinagre de Vino Blanco Procer - vinegar to go with the olive oil, of course
  • Carnicas Roquetas - some beef product, judging by the silly cow on the side of the box
  • Aperitivas - a wide variety of snacks to nibble with your wine
  • the box from somebody's Phillips CD Sound Machine
  • a Humax 22" Easy Digital flatscreen TV box--I wonder why TV screens are measured in inches here?
  • a Tupperware Breadsmart machine box
  • something marked AllinOne - a dishwasher liquid
  • Plasticos Seguros - I'm not sure even after checking Google España. "Secure plastics" could be anything from baby bottles to plastic gloves, to...you name it
  • Ibico binding covers
  • 12 unidades El Baño Aloe Vera marked Muy Fragile, so I used those to pack glassware
  • Nueces Cascara Hacendada - nuts in their shell, supermarket brand
  • something marked Girasol (sunflower) from Moldavia
  • Something marked Risi.es that I never heard of before - seems to be a high-calorie fried snack aimed at kids
  • A couple gorgeous flat boxes sent to Modas de Ana, one of the nice ladies' clothing stores in town
  • something labeled Ron Brugal Añejo - a liquor from the Dominican Republic
  • and one fine box marked Johnnie Walker Red Label
Well, that's enough of a break. I still have some empty boxes to fill.

No comments: